Tuesday, March 11, 2014

System test: Day 2 morning


Since I couldn't go offshore on day 1 (no wind until early afternoon, I then took advantage of the little wind but had current against me so I made it out to Point Bonita in about 5 knots of wind, dying to 1 knot and then to nothing around Point Bonita, but back to 3 to 5 on the way to the gate because of funnel effect)

So took advantage of the flood to head back in (and actually be able to sleep) and anchor in Richardson Bay.




I guess it is also a test to see if I can operate the anchor under sail in a sheltered area such as Hanalei Bay. I dropped the small anchor given the conditions...and the fact that I was anchoring in 12 feet of water.

I still took shifts at night and played around with various instruments to measure loads, fuel cell working, etc... so I did turn it into a system test.

I experimented with various ways of 'sleeping', outside and inside that allows me to get up on deck really quickly if I need to.

Then took advantage of the ebb in the morning despite very little wind to head out again.

No comments: