Monday, March 3, 2014

Interior organization


Going for multiple days on a sailing trip offshore is an organization challenge. My mom is excellent at this and I suck big time. 

You have a teeny space, with very little storage and you want everything to be easy access if possible and organized in a way that makes sense so you don't go looking for salt in one place and pepper at the opposite end of the boat...Also, everything has to be tied down so things don't go flying around when you are living at a 30 degree angle upwind or you round up downwind. 

The last few times, there were items that were still difficult to reach but mostly it was with two people so I am hoping that singlehanded things are a little better...Less food and water, and only one bag of gear Vs two...it 
This time I installed a few lines that things can hang off of. That way, they are easy to access. Looks a bit cramped maybe but it also looks tidy which helps me a lot psychologically and leave most other surfaces open and under settees and cuby holes all easy to access.

I still have to fit the grab bag, the sails, my gear and the medical kit on the boat... 

I am thinking of putting the two head sail up forward slashed on deck (well one will be hoisted - and maybe also the #4, as if the wind picks up, I go down to a #4 faster single handed than I would will full weight on the rail. In their bags until they are being used once and thereafter just attached to the lifeline and bungeed down. I am likely to change headsail quite a few times and it would be easier if everything is on the foredeck Vs having to take down a potentially really wet sail down below then figure out how to roll or fold it and take the new sail out on deck.

Not ideal as the sail gets more UV exposure than it would like, but maybe I can wrap it more easily in its bag. Will have to test. Suggestions welcome.

Then I am thinking of putting heavy weather sails up forward on the V-berth (I put the teeny little spinnaker net on the launch bag for the spinnaker as it is super light. That would be the storm jib, the blast reacher (folded up), the trysail and France. It would also most likely be the twin sail. They might be moved around a little bit and I'd have to make sure that they don't end up in contact with the stove (which I will have to monitor closely no matter what...) - Maybe I'll put the blast reacher under the spinnaker in the bunk, all laid out and easy to grab as it is also a nicer sail to reach, even with just a good breeze.

And finally, put the spinnaker in the port bulk in the order in which I want to be using them.

The medical kit fit in two waterproof bags that can hang off of one of the lines.

My gear will probably be on my bunk as I don't know that I will be sleeping there much...thinking cockpit and bottom floor, just grabbing one of the mattresses there. but we'll see. That leaves the 'under settees' available for spare emergency stuff like spare winch handle etc...or spare harness as well as lines. The second anchor I will try to fit under the port bunk...but not super easy to deploy...but then how can a super heavy anchor be easy to deployed...at least there, it will be out of the way and pretty nicely tucked in.

That's the other thing, everything that is heavy must be really really well attached.


 

Black bag has camping utensils (pot, plate, sporks, etc...) - blue waterproof box has a couple of spare high amp fuses - the two identical ex sheet bags have sealant, 5200, electrical grease, etc.. and that kind of things.


Spare lines and oil absorber in case anything ends up in the bilge


Bed, although this will probably be the storage for my personal bag and I might take the top mattress to put on the floor of the cabin to sleep. It is really hard to get in and out of this bunk. and I don't want to get in there with wet clothes so unless it is so calm that I know I won't need to get up on deck in a hurry and can take my foul weather gear off, I probably won't be using it much.

Two buckets one on top of the other (I will switch the order so the bathroom is the top one) and hanging is the portable kitchen...


Hammock for foul weather gear not currently in use. They can drip easily and can be accessed easily. Also a mat I could use on the floor if I wanted to sleep there. The cushions are tied by a lanyard which I can tie to the toe rail and take outside with me.  You can't see it but the metal saw is attached to one of the lines, facing down and behind the line so it is unlikely to be a problem...
Shouldn't rust as much and is easy to access.

Spare non inflatable life jacket is also used like a cushion for my back. Other cushions that can be used as pillows and might turn the settee into kind of a bed...or also the downstairs again. The bosun's chair is tucked behind the settee but easy to access if going aloft is needed.

My bed, with sleeping bag which I can use to put spare clothes while I sleep as a pillow, and a spare headlamp as there is no lighting back there. no cabin light.


My glass. Hanging out.


Some sail repair stuff hanging off one of the other lines. The pole will be in the pole sleeve, and the spare pole in the other sleeve so that will free up the cabin. My main headlamp, a lantern that can recharge with the sun and a waterproof flashlight right by the companionway so I can grab light as I get in if I need to look for something quick.


The gimble stove. Under the wood panel is the second battery from the 55Ah bank.

 There will be fewer lines here as some of these are working lines - the second fire extinguisher is tied to the torpedo tube but still easy to access. The spare bilge pump is also tied to that tube and easy to access.

The heaving line will obviously hang off the back of the boat but this is mostly to demonstrate the nav area. Couple of waterproof boxes for the batteries (so they don't corrode) are also hanging in there.

No comments: