Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 2 - WHALE

As I got busy watching the dolphins, I kept wondering why they were spending so much time around the boat, clearly getting my attention. Normally, when you are not fast, they get bored after about two passes and leave you to find more fun things to play with.

They only stay with you if you put on a surf competition and surf next to you in the waves.



And then, looking on the starboard side (at the time when the wind picked up to 2 knots so I got moving again, at about 3 knots...picking as high an angle I could without sailing away from the coast) - I saw a spout!! There she blows!

Big big grey whale (or humpback??) - I can't tell the difference. Massive. Slow. Heavy but super close and I am sailing right onto it. Dolphins still playing.



Whale is undisturbed and continuing its path. Blowing water out on a regular basis. Looks like a million musseles on its skin. I sail nearer and nearer. It seems to be on a steady path.

Dolphins still around.


Whale surfaces a few boat lengths ahead. Majestic. I tacked away from it. Dolphins swim toward whale.



Whale passes and goes away. Dolphins come back to boat.

Whales surfaced up a few times. The bow of the boat was literally one boat length away from its tail at some point!!


Dolphins left.

No comments: