Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 2 the way back


I sailed past the lightship - probably about 3 miles or so past the buoy, then the wind speed dropped dangerously so I headed back. Probably not making it to the Farallones under sail...



Hoisted spinnaker but the wind got so so light (even on the way out, past Point Bonita, there was nearly nothing) that the spinnaker was very droopy and not effective. At that stage, a genoa holds its shape better and powers up the boat faster.


1 knot of breeze. 1.5 knot of boat speed. 3 knots of ebb. Guess who wins?

I saw the 'Adventure Cat' at the lightship (didn't know they were going out that far) - bubbling around and taking pictures of sea lions. (which I did too...)


Pretending to put a smile on despite the fact that this is my sub 5 knot face (ie we're not going anywhere fast face, I like to sail FAST).

I thought that Brian on RedSky was going to be out there so I first hailed, then called him. Figured that if he was out there, I could get a tow back...but he was int he South Bay.


I started the engine but it died after 45 minutes, and I couldn't start it again. I need to figure this out. Either it's me, or it's the engine, or it's both but we need to work it out so the engine works reliably. Only use choke for 10 seconds or so so I don't think the engine was flooded and I tried again to start it afterwards with no choke on at all (which should have helped flush too) and all the right vents and valves were open.


So close yet so far when you have no wind :)


Lunch


Yup, it was that glassy. It just turned to 0.00 knot of wind and 0.00 knot of boat speed.

 Boat going out to pick up crab pods


on a big ocean swell!!

No comments: