Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Melges and SH SSS Corinthian this weekend

As I am supposed to avoid exertion, heavy lifting and risk of blow to the head right now...I am not supposed to sail this weekend...This feels weird because I feel more or less fine now. However doc says that another blow could 1) break bone away from orbit and into the eye, 2) have broken bone cut through optical nerve, 3) have serious internal bleeding in the eye socket requiring immediate surgery, or in the brain, also requiring immediate surgery and a risk of brain damage. 1 and 2 would also require surgical repair...

The Single-Handed race around the Bay was probably a no no as hoisting and taking down or even trimming sails probably counts as heavy lifting.

Lance was saving the day by offering me to go down to San Diego on a Melges 24, and do tactics (no exertion) - I was so ready to jump at that opportunity...these boats are fast and that sounds like some great racing down there. Unfortunately, doc points out that I can bump my head against hard objects on a boat, particularly moving fast and recommends to stay quiet so close to injury date.

Definitely not my lucky week...

No comments: