Saturday, April 5, 2014

On the way to the lightship


Initially it wasn't windy at all, after the wind picked up right by the Golden Gate bridge, it was blowing 5 to 8 or so. Happy to have my big sail up.

Tacking just to stay up in the current


Warm and happy because I am on the water


The wind picked up quite a bit. I changed headsail and moved down to a #3

Nasty waves too, the boat felt like a washing machine, banging down on the back of steep waves


The wind moved North so it was a very loose beat up to the lightship


As the wind continued to increase (seeing gusts near 30 knots), sustained 25 knots, I took a reef in and if it hasn't been a loose beat I would have downgraded to a #4 for the headsail.

Very wet ride, waves breaking on deck and covering the entire boat. And after my headsail change, my foul weather gear was totally wet!!


Here is the mark getting ready to round it.

No comments: