Friday, April 25, 2014

Monday - SHTP Qualifier



Wind lightened up near Monterey Bay. I reached the latitude of Carmel after a little over 100 miles of reaching and tacked back out to sea when the wind dropped below 10 knots...as I'd go offshore it would move back up to low teens. Changed sail again to #3 after waiting for a little while to see if it would hold (I never just rushed a sail change based on changing calming wind conditions...after my experience of the first day...). I'd first shake a reef as that's a much easier/low effort thing to do. At that time, I was about 95 miles south of the golden gate bridge but as I was tacking my way up, I'd be sailing a little bit more distance...I also changed into my last set of dry clothes. They didn't stay dry for very long although rain was less salty than spray...

Sailed around hundreds of dolphins for at least half an hour, was absolutely magical. 

Sun rose, wind lightened up but I shook out reefs, etc... and boat speed was still up and for the first time since beginning of my trip I had a t shirt on. 



In the morning, emerging from the 'rough' night into lighter winds


Later in the day


A bit overcast initially

The sun came up and it was time to let things dry out a bit


I had to tack my way up the coast...



Sometimes I sat behind that dodger and laughed at the spray and waves that couldn't get to me. Childish.





Then a group of dolphins played around the boat. It was so much fun!


Most of my photos ended up with water splashes...


You can see some of them on the bottom left of the picture..




A pretty orderly boat for several days and nights at sea...


 Hey, the ocean is heeling



hehe...Happy happy me.

No comments: