Thursday, April 24, 2014

from SPOT


I was only randomly using SPOT but basically, I can break the qualifier into the following legs


1- Out of the gate: tacking my way up the channel and into the potato patch, heading North toward Drakes Bay, about 10 miles. Total Distance sailed about 10 miles.

2- heading out offshore. Steering 240 (South West) and when the wind shifted North (as planned) I steered 270 (West). Basically on a beat (pretty loose because of heavy swell and autopilot driving). Total distance sailed about 130 nm.

3- After reaching about 120 nm offshore, I got sick of going upwind and I saw no sign of a westerly wind so I decided to make sure I would get some downwind fun so I pointed the boat downwind (about 180, ie South), put up the kite and started surfing. Just perfect conditions for the boat. 25+ knots of wind and nice waves. I did this for a little over 60 miles. Total distance sailed about 190 nm.  (correction looks like from GPS track, it was over 140 nm offshore)

4- I then moved the boat on a tight reach, heading north west with a strong west component (heading about 60 degrees). Wind increased to 30 knots with heavy unfriendly all over the place type seas. I did this all the way to Carmel for about 100 miles. Total distance sailed about 290 nm. Wind from the North the entire time. Whatever west shift was supposed to happen managed to carefully work its way around Elise.

5- Headed North on what I was hoping to be the final leg. Wind dropped quite a bit but wind was still from the North...Total distance to go was about 100 miles. However, I had to tack my way up so I probably sailed 1/3 more distance wise...

6- the unplanned. I reached Half Moon Bay, about 50 miles up north but through tacked, so total distance sailed about 70 miles, which added to 290 nm gave 360. Bubbled around off Half Moon Bay, a little north of it, until storm started, then turned downwind and sailed 60 miles south to Santa Cruz harbor (50 miles offshore with one gybe and then final 10 mile reachy leg into the harbor). Total distance sailed was 420 nm and I had measured furthest away offshore to be 120 nm.

According to GPS: max boat speed was 15.3 knots. Darn, I didn't beat Nathan's record...


No comments: