Monday, August 19, 2013

A little bit of a problem right under the gate

Winds were very mild all the way and included heading down the approach to the gate - leaving Mile Rock to startboard. It was ebbing but given the thick fog I didn't want to take chances and get close to rocks I might not see so I stayed fairly centered in the channel, using centerspan horn to guide me.

Literally a few boat lengths from the gate, the wind picked up (apparent wind was in excess of 28 knots downwind and the boat was flying at 15-16 knots with a huge bow wave, I am guessing that there was 35 to 40 knots at that area) - I remember thinking 'shoot I have the wrong kite up) 

The J boat I was catching up to ripped their spinnaker in these winds (it just tore in the middle) and I was still thinking 'yup, I probably have the wrong kite up...and just as I was about to reach for the halyard/sheet to lower the kite and before I did anything, the pole just folded.

As a result, and still in about 40 knot winds, just exiting the fog area from under the gate (I could not see the gate up until I sailed right underneath it) - the spinnaker ended up very quickly on the leeward side (the pole didn't keep it square to the wind anymore) which caused the boat to round up (I saw and heard the pole snap just before rounding up though) - I kicked my hand held GPS into the water at that time as I was reaching out for vang, sheet, etc... to depower the sails and get the boat back up.

While I got the boat back up, the spinnaker had time to wrap itself around the pole, around the topping lift, around the jib halyard and a little bit around the forestay...

With plenty of sea room and at sea, I would have just continued for a little while under main only with the AP to sort out the mess and reclaim the use of my foredeck. However, I was so close to Tiburon that I decided to pull in there and fix this in t-shirt and shorts instead...


Getting the spinnaker bag still attached at the bow


Hmm - this is a new type of pole. They fold so you can easily transport them in airplanes...

I had broken poles before but usually doing round downs (rarely during round up) and certainly never while just flying the chute and enjoying a hugely fun downwind run...Pole was fairly squared back as the wind was really from behind but I guess a bit too much pressure?


Note that it is always better that the pole breaks before the mast does :)

 Hoisting the main and getting ready to head across the Bay to the StFYC

Note how sunny and warm it was in Tiburon

 and back home!

I will still have to sail for about 30 min in 40+ knot winds across the slot and in the fog.

No comments: