Sunday, August 21, 2016

Single-Handed Farallones Race

Another one of my favorite events because I get to sail around the islands that I love - the only way I get to see them and it is a single-handed event. I love the team work with a crew but I find true solace when it is just me and the boat and the sea. The three of us don't always agree but I enjoy our arguments. After each of these events I returned full of energy and ready to take on the world again.



Photo purchased from H2oshots



It was a light air day mostly on the upwind, but I did have to do a sail change and swap out for the smaller sail when I got closer to the island, to my delight as this is right before the downwind starts.

The wind veered South so it was a loose reach toward the end - fun. I lost track of all the other boats and was racing pretty much on my own.



happiness doesn't take much


The islands slowly emerged from the fog and unveiled their raw beauty.


This wasn't shark season but there could have been a few sharks under the surface. There was no way I could tell.


Head stay reach on the way back and a few ships that accompanied me back to the gate.


Lovely trip back - fairly light but the kite was full on a reach which took me straight back to the gae and Elise likes these conditions. Darn way too much outhaul on that picture.



I love these guys! I can see some of the competition on the left although no way to tell if they are in my division.



I learned that I finished second

No comments: