Monday, August 25, 2014

Training with Libra for the Nationals

A week ago, Sergey, Marcia,  Dima and I went on a day training on Libra to prepare for the Nationals. Training days are in some respects tougher than race days physically as you do a lot of repeats. 

First I noticed an arrangement that I like about the lead of the fine tuning of the main sheet. I don't like where Elise's ends up but this is clever and I could make use of the traveler block up on the side of the cockpit which is unused right now. I took some pictures to refresh my memories later on.


Sergey actually owns buoys so we set up a start line and used a Berkeley circle mark as our windward line. The start line also became our leeward gate. We did several starts (2 per 'mock race') and then went around the course twice each mock race. We did 4 mock races. 



We tried every possible set, douse style, we gybed as soon as we rounded the mark, right before hitting the gate, etc...We wrapped and unwrapped the spinnaker. We tacked several times. I was trimming and boy that was a lot of work!!!

I noticed a GoPro but never saw a video of the practice.
The hardest part was floating the spinnaker. Dima is a great foredeck person. Quiet, efficient and with a great eye to details.

Libra keeps their engine forward. Easier to take out and better weight distribution. I can't do this on Elise offshore and we use the engine so rarely that I prefer to have it safely hooked up in the back.

Afterwards we debriefed over a drink and some food. Overall, the same type of issues as I have seen on many boats and that has plagued Elise from time to time. Tactician needs to make clear calls and not try to change their mind unless there is a compelling reason. I used to have that problem...

The practice simulated every single type of last minute changes and horror situations but 90% of the time, you want to stick to a repeatable routine as it reduces the rate of errors and predictability allows you to optimize maneuvers, and synchronize your team. 10% of the time you will be called to react to an unplanned situation. That particular training was to have us work as a team in this 10% of the time and we did one race simulating a regular 90% of the times to also allow us to get to know each other as a team. 

Clearly it doesn't replace 15 years of teaming up together like a lot of the top boats have but it never hurts :)


No comments: