Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Post SHTP stories - last three days in Hawaii

These last three days went like a dream. I had no more boat to worry about, so I took a book and set about finding relaxing places with water nearby.



George accompanied me on most of these excursions, except on the last day where he booked a massage and went to a spa and I just went to the condo complex pool where they served wine and snacks at 6pm. We spent the evenings in the hot tubs. We ate ice-cream or large breakfasts. And dinner. No lunches as we would be lounging somewhere during that time.



It was delicious.


Queen's Bath. A natural tidal pool. We spent hours there, either swimming, floating in the water, or reading lying comfortably on the lava rocks.


I got a huge kick out of the chickens that were everywhere on the island. The roosters would wake us up in the morning. Roosters are the French national animal!


 George at Queen's bath. I know that George will do the 2016 transpac, so we will be racing against each other. I really hope he does!


Hanalei Bay in the distance. I had no desire to explore the islands. I just wanted to be in a heavenly place and relax.


The kind of scenery I would see from the boat. Except this time, I was on land. How isolated these islands are. How amazing the first islanders, traveling thousands of miles at sea, using mainly stars to find their way around - and initially just landing on the islands.


Sky's on fire.
 Unlike mediterranean landscape with very crips powerful colors, the islands were often misty and with colors paling in the sun, or under cloud cover. This is the reef that we have to navigate around to get to the anchorage point after the finish.


Evening squall




George invited me to the Regis Hotel, overlooking Hanalei Bay. I am so glad I got to know him. He is funny, knowledgeable and full of extraordinary stories. I made a friend - and that only is worth all the crossings in the world.



Morning of departure. George found a wounded moth.

No comments: