Thursday, December 19, 2013

ZYC Challenge - turned into cool singlehanded cruise - Red Sky Meet up

We had planned to hold the first ever ZYC challenge, a single handed trip to the Lightship buoy 12 nautical miles west of the Golden Gate bridge.

A few hiccups along the way transformed the event so we will probably host again that race...It turned into a really nice social sail though.

Participants: Echappee, Elise, Red Sky.

Red Sky noted: 'I have to say, this ZYC club is better than sailing anarchy.  You could not ask for a more anarchistic start, and the finish was totally undefined !'

This is Elise's perspective and you can read Echappee's perspective here: http://blog.pierb.com/2013/12/#echappee-singlehanded-bay-romp

We were supposed to start around 1115 to go out with the ebb tide - however, setting up the boat for offshore on my own took a little longer than planned - so I got to Point Knox around noon. I radio'ed to find out where Red Sky and Echappee were and found out that Echappee was still in the Estuary, running later than Elise. So I turned downwind to meet them.

Elise didn't have a working AP on that day (electrical connections not fully functional and connected AP not calibrated) so I rigged the line that runs all around the boat and that connects to the tiller and decided to make this day a line steering practice (it is a lot harder than you think!)

Red Sky was also going to meet Echappee near Treasure Island so I pointed Elise downwind and got going.

Downwind on Elise means spinnaker up unless there is a life threatening emergency, a snacktician strike or it is blowing more than 40 in which case the blast reacher might be used...


FIRST RDV - RED SKY MEETS ECHAPPEE AT TREASURE ISLAND







Brian is one of my sailing heroes.



 Turn on your VHF!!!


 Heading out to meet with Elise. Nice looking boat. Looks very neat and professional.




Sailors really are my people. Very fun to meet on the water and play around...

Nathan, Brian and Serge. All dear friends of mine. If one of them asked me to fly to Hawaii to get them out of trouble, I would.

Photos courtesy of Serge.

No comments: