Monday, June 13, 2011

Nathan's Spin Cup writeup

As per Pressure Drop: http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?1476-Spin-Cup-1st-In-Single-Handed-Division-Winner-Nathan-Bossett-On-Trip-South

I usually do a writeup anyway; here's what I had going.

We had a fairly conventional shorthanded start: everyone basically at the
line but not maneuvering hard for position. Elise came out with very good
speed near the committee boat end and just went straight for the bridge as
most of the previous classes had. The wind was up and down between very
light and just heavy enough to make me wonder whether the #3 would be
necessary.

My sail choice at the start (#1) gave me an advantage out to the gate,
then a significant disadvantage until I was able to crack off at Seal
Rock, and an advantage again after that. In retrospect, I probably should
have done a change #1->#3 at the bridge and #3->Blast Reacher at Seal
Rock.



Pillar Point at the north end of Half Moon Bay marks the intial chance to crack off a bit
©Nathan Bossett


I stayed pretty close to shore the whole trip. There was some great
current between Mile Rock and shore, so I passed right next to it and then
headed right around the corner and south. With the wind forecast to be
swinging right, I wasn't as worried about a hole at Montara as usual and
just chose a course to get max vmg. At Montara, I was able to set the
kite, which didn't come down until after the finish. There was always
enough breeze to keep me moving but not so much as to wear me out keeping
up with trim. The gusts were pretty tame and didn't vary too much in
direction.

By Pigeon Point, the wind was taking me right into shore so I took a short
gybe out and back (taking me not more than two or three miles offshore).


The Santa Cruz Coast in the distance
© Nathan Bosset


The wind built a bit near Davenport and carried me straight to the finish.
There were a couple of gybes, made more challenging by my bungee cord
autopilot (Elise's normal autopilot was totally dead). The wind was about
15 gusting a little more at times and a friendly following sea made the
boathandling very easy.

The wind held all the way to the finish line, and it was a very pleasant
change to carry the kite across the line in solid breeze.

Having lost track of the competition back around Pillar Point (suspecting
that they'd gone hard offshore), I had no idea of how well the race was
going. Once past Santa Cruz and in the bay, I could start hearing
check ins on the handheld VHF and that was encouraging.


Sunset over the Pacific
© Nathan Bossett


I thought that David Nabors on Temerity had been pretty close to my course
and that Galaxsea was offshore, but had completely lost sight of S'Moore
not too long after clearing Mile Rock.

The real wakeup call was when I crossed the line a minute ahead of DH J35
Brainwaves and then saw Great White finish while I was cleaning up sails
and waiting for a slip.

A local Express 27 and 37 racer (Belle Icenhower) who had been on
Locomotion then graciously carted me and some of the War Pony+Serena folks
over to her house and served us burritos before we all just collapsed on
various couches and floor space. Long day!

Visit the Elise Blog! http://tinyurl.com/3wcmkmv


-Nathan

No comments: