Tuesday, June 14, 2011

LongPac Inspection

Elise just passed the LongPac inspection with a couple of small ToDos:
  • The first aid kit manual hasn't arrived yet so I am to take it to the skipper's meeting - I had a tiny weeny one and I had purchased an upgrade
  • The liferaft was not on the boat (and it was not supposed to be) so I need to email the invoice/reservation paperwork from the raft when I have it
  • The water and food weren't the actual water and food that I will take on the race, so I will email my inspector when the real thing is ready and stowed on the boat.
The distance between the stanchions may have been not exactly 7 feet (we didn't actually measure it) - however the boat was grandfathered on that one as the lifelines were deemed safe as is.

Other than that, the comment was that things were well thought out and that the boat was well-prepared. Mostly, we have more than what is strictly required for the LongPac...Our inspector also admired Serge's artwork :) Serge put some nice '101' numbers on the storm jib (the last set was duct tape...)

I will publish our first aid kit checklist - I put it together by looking at the professional kits. Joe (a sailing friend who also happens to be a physician and who is very familiar with Elise since he used to own her!) kindly prescribed the prescription drugs and all in all, it was about 4 times cheaper than any of the already-made kits. I decided not to get certain things...For instance I didn't think that I'd be performing CPR on myself so I didn't get that...I didn't get the anesthesia, the IV kit that comes with it that is used for surgery...as I assumed that if I were to knock myself out, it would make operating on myself tricky...and I am not sure that I can really operate on myself without doing more damage than good...so I also decided not to get a scalpel...

There were a bunch of Coastal Cup boats hanging around...I'll miss that event.

The other piece of good news is that the LongPac will still be a qualifier for the 2014 single-handed transpac, so I could do PacCup next year and Transpac in 2014. Neat.

No comments: