Friday, July 9, 2010

Live from Pac Cup

This is from Nathan - just emailed from Spellbound on route to Hawaii -

'Once Elise was out of play for this year's Pac Cup I had expected to do Coastal Cup and burn the rest of my vacation on non-sailing activities.  I do really enjoy the race, but had done the most recent one (Elise, 2008 DH) and wouldn't have felt bad about taking one off.

I didn't actively look for a ride, but picked up a tentative offer from being side-tied to Spellbound during the Corinthian Midwinters.  The idea did sound good, and a crew of 6 would be a considerably different experience than I'd had recently.

Prep was a lot easier than 2008 (pick up crew vs being skipper and responsible for keeping up with all of the organizational stuff) and the crew was a fun group during the Spinnaker Cup (SF->Monterey)shakedown trip.  The weather forecast has been discouraging, but we seem to have made it through the initial coastal hole.

So here I am on Pac Cup #5, cruising along under genoa and reefed main while we wait for the wind to come aft.  It's definitely the right place to be.'

No comments: