Friday, March 21, 2008

Procurement

This was a topic at the Pac Cup seminar. This is actually one of the things that I most worry about. I keep looking at the size of Elise and the available space below and I am wondering where I can fit the electric wine cellar. Seriously though, it will take a lot of thinking to figure out where to store everything. Since I live in an apartment and Nathan in a house, I inherited that task. I am more used to squeeze a lot in a confined space in a way that makes it look absent...yet within easy reach.

I will also label where things are so a) I can remember even in the middle of the night and not quite awake yet and b) Nathan will know where things are.

We need leecloths to make sure we won't fall onto the engine in the middle of our sleep...

Here's how we will plan our trip (and this is the recommendation we got at the seminar).
- plan day by day: 1 light breakfast, a light lunch, snacks for both salt and sugar, drinks and a cooked meal
- the first few days will be cold and rough (read bumpy) so we will pre-cook the meals or buy some of these dried ones which we can just throw in hot water before we eat.
- on the Lightship race I suffered from lack of food, so I will prepare ziplog bags with snacks that can be stored up on deck
- will bring plastic plates and my camping gear for pots. We have a plastic cup and plastic glasses.
- will bring a bottle of wine for mi-way party
- will bring eggs, they give you great protein, they taste super good, even boiled, they can be eaten hard-boiled and cold on deck and they don't need to be kept refrigerated
- will bring a finish line, you never know. Hopefully, we will sail faster than most fish, but there will be light mornings...
- will bring apples, they should keep fairly long and it will be nice to have FRESH something...
- will bring ready-made soups. Tossing one of those as a quick warm drink when you're cold at night will feel absolutely wonderful.
- if at all possible minimize the time we need to stay below: it will be bumpy and probably not so good from a sea-sickness perspective in the first three days and it will probably get really hot later on. Plus we will be so sleep deprived that every extra minute of sleep we can get will be a blessing.

Finally, we will organize storage on a day by day basis, so we don't have to rummage through a lot of different areas to get what we need. It also helps make sure that we are distributing supplies correctly. So we will store "day 1, etc..." - we will therefore have to start with the last day as we will use a last in first out stack system...

If any of you has experienced with dried camping food, or tasty light food, let me know. I'll put together the menu toward the end of June so you got some time...

No comments: