Saturday, November 28, 2015

Baja Ha Ha Leg 1

I am a racer - I like racing because you are at the mercy of the wind. Your life on the boat is governed by the elements. Every decision you make is based on the weather. And every decision you make is to make the boat go as fast as it possibly can - you push the boat, you push yourself, you keep learning, all the time. Comfort only matters so long as it keeps you going safely. You agonize over tactical decisions, strategic choices, sail choices - there always is something to do, something to think about. You can never be bored.

In a race, you cannot use your engine - it teaches you patiences. It is ok to drift (I hate it but I can deal with it in a race, even if it is a good time to get some sleep).

Cruising is a different game altogether. I loved sailing Crescendo. She handles a kite very well, she sails beautifully - for a boat her weight, she is a delight to steer and trim under sails.

She is slow, hot and noisy under engine.

I had a hard time adjusting to the non sailing, not doing much time. Thankfully, I was in great company, the food was absolutely wonderful, there were projects to keep you busy, the DVDs were fabulous and I loved my books. So overall, I had a great time - I wouldn't call it a sailing vacation - a great cruising one.



I like this picture because the other boats are behind us...



My favorite sail - and Crescendo handles it really well


I also like these boats because they are boats we can catch up to - which the 'ladies' on the boat spent a lot of time doing. Megan got really excited about optimizing our sails, trim and driving to pass boat.

I like that :)





150 boats is a lot of boats - it's like half the three bridge fiasco out in the ocean. Nice.



And Steve was having a great time dancing around



Nice view from the top of the mast



Megan driving!








Mark looks really small from there


much taller from there...and on this picture a tad stupid ;-)


Well deserved sleep


The watch team keeping themselves busy while the boat is under engine and autopilot




Steve kept an eye on us


How beautiful is a sailboat under sail...




Daniel trimming


Navigation from below deck
photo: Nathan Bossett



Navigation from the cockpit - a very different experience from Elise!
photo: Nathan Bossett



photo: Nathan Bossett


A dead (and male) dolphin along the way
photo: Nathan Bossett


Under sail so I am smiling!!
photo: Nathan Bossett



Daniel and I are on watch. Well...kind of
photo: Nathan Bossett

No comments: