Monday, February 10, 2014

Cooking stuff for SHTP and qualifier

Getting ready for a few days at sea. I like to have hot stuff available when the weather permits it, I like coffee in the morning (good coffee that is) and I like to take a duplicate of everything that would really be annoying if lost overboard...I also like wine for the half way party.


For the hot stuff
  • Propane tank (x3)
  • Lighter
  • Storm matches
  • Kettle (Titanium)
  • Camping pot with handle (which is also the duplicate of the kettle, although the kettle is unlikely to go overboard because I stay down below for all cooking stuff...)
  • Gimble Stove (Attaches to port side forward bulkhead)
For the coffee
  • Plastic cup(s) - x2    - I don't take glasses when I am alone since a cup works great for both warm and cold stuff
  • Camping French press
  • Coffee
  • Dry milk powder
For the afternoon tea and night warm drinks including instant calories to warm up in the first few nights
  • Black tea
  • Herbal tea
  • Powder Sugar
  • 1 small thermos bottle
For the wine
  • Corkscrew (duplicate, the boat has one but it would be a catastrophe to lose it overboard...)
  • Bottle opener also good (and winch handle good backup, but really I don't drink much beer)

For the kind of must have to cook shit
  • Camping knife (as a duplicate of the boat knife which stays on the boat)

To conserve food and fight scorbut
  • dry ice
  • can opener (the REI type food is lighter but not really good. Sometimes, some of these cans are way nicer...like you might actually cook it at home...)
  • salt (were I to fish...God forbid...) although the backup is a vast expanse of salted water all around the boat which you can use to cook pasta
  • pepper and salt are great to add flavor to anything though

For the convenience to eat (although you can eat out of a can too so no duplication...)
  • Camping plate
  • Cup holder for inside the cabin so I can drink my coffee while doing navigation stuff without running the risk of spilling it all over the charts
  • Spork - worse case, I can eat with my fingers and drink everything liquid including soup

No comments: