Sunday, January 26, 2014

Three Bridge Fiasco - January 2014. 350 Starters. One Finisher.

Photos Ultimate Yachtshots


It was a bit of a zoo at the Club, with the J22s not very well packed (and everyone else trying to raft up three levels deep...) - so Elise just made the start.


Setting up the spinnaker for the start, on the way to Blackaller, drifting up with the ebb tide. There was a little bit of wind which made for a fast ride to the first mark. I was in a group with El Raton and Wile E Coyote (all double handed)

There 5 E27s single handing though!


My plan was to go to the first mark and if the wind died then, just anchor and wait for more wind as the tide would otherwise sweep me past the gate.


Kite all set and pole ready to go. I always set up on startboard pole whenever I can when single handed so I have rights over other boats, and I check to make sure that I have no one anywhere close to leeward that I would have to give way to.


Imagine 350 boats who can cross the start line in any direction!



After Blackaller, we were all headed across the Bay to Raccoon Straight, pointing as high as possible. There was mostly wind and it was a really pleasant crossing.


I was closely following El Raton and Wile E Coyote.


Elise just as my kite when down and about to round the mark.

Boats on their way to the mark


A Moore duet.

No comments: