Thursday, January 16, 2014

More electrical upgrades

AP back in action for single handed day race/sail


New AGM battery, nicely and cleanly set up. There will be two small batteries as a bank on either side for long distance race to give me the power storage capacity I need for SHTP.

Still using lighter small batteries for day sailing.


Second GPS receiver to power up AIS radio (without having to turn on the power hungry GPS display which I use once or twice a day for navigation purposes during long distance races. I used to look at my hand held for fixes on the chart (which I do for safety reasons, helps with dead reckoning if all else fails) and now I will probably just look at the AIS radio.

This and the second GPS antenna are both below deck where they are less likely to corrode. The signal travels through the core of the deck so not a reception issue at all.

Nice job Peter King :)

No comments: