Monday, December 15, 2008

Practice Sail - December 14, 2008

Amir, Adrian, Juan and I - the international team, met at 1PM at Elise's home. Amir is from Israel, Adrian from the UK, Juan from Chile and I am one of these cheese-mongers. The weather forecast indicated 10-15 knots, going up to 20 in the evening and 70% chances of rain. In fact, it was raining already when we got to the boat.

Crammed in Elise's main cabin, sitting on top of the flare box, the sailbags and the cooler to stay out of the rain, we shared our most intimate sailing secrets. Amir had no sailing experience, Adrian had raced on J24s and did some bareboat cruising and Juan had chartered boats several times.  We were all there to enjoy ourselves and share our knowledge. The dockmaster, looking alarmed, walk up to me and says pointing at the sky 'it IS RAINING, they said that it would rain.' I replied that we were hard core and would go anyway. The other piece of information I should venture out at this point is that the breeze was very light. I was hopeful though as the wind was a late starter the day before, so I wasn't as dumb as I looked...bundled up in my foulies, I stayed amazingly dry and warm. I wasn't sure about the others (although the decision to go out anyway in the hope of getting better breeze was a consensus). As we cast off, I asked how everyone was doing. Now, that was a dumb question on a cold, rainy and not so breezy day.

We did get some practice, especially for new people: setting up the boat, hoisting and dropping sails (we changed from a #3 to a #1 given the majestic and persistent absence of wind), we set up and hoisted the spinnaker, did a few tacks and jibes. Until the wind died completely, really just as we were outside...

The dockmaster must have been scratching his head at that time: what is this only boat doing on the Bay, drifting in an ebb, with a crew that's looking like they are actively sailing, messing around with sails and instruments. Most of us kept warm as sailing does take effort.

Until I took out the engine...and headed us back to the dock. I wasn't tired physically by then but I think that low(er) levels of carbs affected my ability to do precision work. It took me forever to line up the trailer and the boat as we took her out of the water - although I haven't yet beaten the record established with Philip a couple of months ago.

We concluded the day with some great and fun conversation around drinks, to complete the sailing education of the day. Beer is definitely a pretty universal sailing language, except among cheese-mongers apparently...

I actually like being out, in the wet and cold (better than too hot) - tried by the elements on a boat. It feels rough and it feels good. I feel very alive in those moments. A hot shower later on, a dinner with friends and more importantly a very effective set of foulies turned this into a near perfect day. Wind would have perfected the picture.



The marina on Sunday...courtesy of Juan!

No comments: