Sunday, July 20, 2014

SHTP story - the start

I had checked the weather and got a routing from Commander's for the first three days. It is shown to be blowing in the 30s outside the gate - the race committee had said 'a wall of wind'.
No time for a shower that morning - no time for breakfast - and no time for a hug for Nathan. Definitely rushed.

Photo purchased from Rockskipper

The GAME PLAN as Skip called it was to sail to that waypoint that Commander's recommended, basically a tight reach, that would take me close to rhumbline.
After the little encounter with Red Sky, I have another 40+ minutes to my start. I check in on the radio. 
"Elise, SSS Race Committee, you are checked in. Have a great race."
I am checking the jib and making sure that it will go up just fine at the start.
I have no idea how much it is blowing but going upwind a little bit, I decide to not put a reef in the main sail. I estimate that it is blowing 10-15. I have the #4 rigged up that can go up quickly on the foredeck and putting in a reef on the main is a really fast procedure.

I smile at the various boats passing around and taking pictures but my head is still elsewhere. I hope that by the time I cross the line I will be 100% in race mode as usual.
Brian talked me through setting up Doomsday in adaptive mode (I like it because at any time I hope to be using just the amount of power I need even if conditions change while I am asleep) and optimize for performance. NKE doesn't have this adaptive mode + NKE seems to be consuming more power for similar conditions. I have grown really fond of Doomsday. (the autopilot). It drove half of my qualifier.

There is also a strong flood current which we talked about at the skippers meeting which means some 22 tacks or so to get out of the Bay.


“This will be the five minute warning for Division A.” Countdown and ready. I set my timer on my watch and start running the line. My masthead fly is stuck with a 30 degree range after the encounter with Red Sky so I have no idea by looking up where the wind is coming from. Fortunately it is blowing enough that I can just feel it on my face.

I am late to the start but still the first boat to cross the line, closely followed by Domino. David sails very well and for the longer time both boats sail next to each other.


Archimedes has a reef in her main and starts afterwards and Libra trails us.


I trim Elise and get ready for a series of tacks. I have the Speed Puck available to me in the cockpit so I can monitor current. I don't need it much as the current line is very visible. It was helpful right outside the gate as the ebb continued on for much longer and saved me a couple of tacks.
For some reason I am still not 'in the race' - my mind is still miles away and seems to be staying with the pre race reality. I force myself to concentrate more.


I know this Bay. I have sailed out of it many times so I try to focus on what is happening there and then.

My tacks are OK but Domino is sailing faster - we both point roughly the same. I see when he has a header or a lift and I can anticipate. He is about a boat length ahead of me after we sail under the gate.
The other divisions are slowly starting and I see Bandicoot in the distance catch up with us. Al sails fast - (he will have caught up with me around the Farallons Islands).

Photo purchased from Rockskipper





I hug the North tower. I know there is plenty of water there. The North shore has less wind but I stay inside the current line and try to catch the early ebb. There is a bit of ebb quite a ways out.

I have no idea about wind speed but my sail combo seems to be effective. I am gaining on Archimedes and catching up on Domino. The boat feels stable and has a slight heel which makes her fast. Chop is fairly light as we are just about to exit a flood. Good. It isn't as wet as during an ebb tide exit.

Photo purchased from Rockskipper


I had hoped to catch a glimpse of Nathan after the start, and looked around for him in the rib but I couldn't see him. Red Sky is staying near the start area to catch pictures of the other competitors. Pressure Drop is out to take more pictures post gate.

I tack alongside Domino and Bandicoot catching up fast along the North shore and get ready for the Gulf of the Farallones, heading up pretty much for the islands, on the North side of the channel, knowing that the stronger wind will come from there earlier.

Photo purchased from Rockskipper

My mind is still not in the race. I am going through tactical moves I have rehearsed many times during my races - some that I have won over the other boats in my division in similar conditions. My sail plan is still fine for the conditions but I know I will have to shorten sail before the end of the day. 
Photo credits: Ultimate Yatchshots and purchased from Pressure Drop.

No comments: