Thursday, January 17, 2013

Some Long Distance Single-Handed Prep

  • Got replacement for boat laptop
  • Installed snailmail, grib file viewer and expedition
  • tested grib viewer and expedition
  • ordered performance package for Express 27 (including upwind polars and with different crew weights) - received it but the excel file looks buggy. Keeps crashing Excel.

Expedition is a piece of work...Took veteran Jim and I half an hour to figure out how to set a position for the boat...kind of basic requirement when you set a course. We got some weather info and played around with soem routing. I was trained both on Expedition as well as weather routing both of which I kinda enjoyed.

Expedition has some weird states and I can really see how frustrated I might become at sea if it got stuck into some error mode...I guess that I will have to try to play around with it enough beforehand to try to get all these bugs out of the system.

Was fascinating :)

No comments: