Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Heritage

Over the holidays, I have learned that my Dad's family used to own FIVE boats. 4 dinghies and a keel cruising boats. At least one dinghy was a 420 and one was a 470. Another one seemed to be a laser-looking thing and I don't know what the last dinghy was.

My grandfather was a Briton, the sailing mecca in France just like everyone born in the Alps has a pair of ski attached to their feet.

Apparently, he and one of his sister would sneak out in the morning before school in one of the dinghies, play for an hour and come back - as well as go out in the evening and race every weekend, sometimes solo and sometimes as a team.

They sailed every day for 5 full years apparently.

Oh, and sailing was one of the things that connected my parents (both were sailing in weekend regattas). My mom owned (and still does) a 420 and raced it in Marseille. They met in Marseille...guess what kind of sporting event that was...

Might be where I picked up some kind of bug.

No comments: