Sunday, February 12, 2012

Heidy's Impressions of the Wine and Sail day

Posted with permission

'Growing up in Mexico, “doing” sports as a little girl meant watching and cheering the boys play fútbol (soccer), but when I met Nathalie in 2009, I began to consider sailing as a sport. Having been into yoga at the time, the only transferrable skill I had was the ability to use my core and keep my weight low on a moving vessel. Though, I’ve gone sailing over half a dozen times now, I still consider myself a newbie happy to be rail-meat on board. Joking aside, I’m quite lucky so far to have experienced the wonders of cruising through the San Francisco Bay – going around Alcatraz in the daytime, docking at Tiburon during a night sail, crossing the Golden Gate bridge with strong winds into the ocean, and being towed by a motor boat just a few feet off the Presidio YC shore. Lovely times, to say the least… what I get most out of sailing is the intense mental focus and crew comraderie. Happy sails!'

Yes, sailing is a sport (and there are Olympics categories to prove it ;-)) - and a fabulous one!

No comments: