Sunday, December 5, 2010

Weather Flash: rain, rain and more rain

You know that you need a new foul weather jacket when you spend the entire day sitting on a whaler in heavy rain and the water goes straight through. Time for a replacement. And well, I need to replace mine...

I did race committee work today for the RYC midwinters, on the El Toro course. I like to do race committee once in a while as I benefit so much from all these volunteers that go out and spend the day on the water often freezing to death, or dripping wet from the heavy summer chop, pulling marks up and down at the whims of the wind and tide that I feel that I need to give back to my sailing family.

It's also a great school. Pretty tricky to run a race. What if the wind keeps shifting on you? What course do you pick? Long? Short? Where do you drop the mark, how do you keep track of everything that's going on. It's also great to observe the tactics the fleets use on the course and try to get in their head to understand their thinking. It's really like a live tutorial if you go out with a good racer.

So if you have a minute to spare here and there, think about volunteering for a race and help out with it. It will make you a better sailor.

No comments: