Saturday, June 27, 2009

A tip for long distance racing

During the first night, I was having a blast like I said. Surfing down, zooming along at 12+ knots and I was trying to keep my 'noises' down to provide a tranquil sleeping environment for Nathan.
(Apparently during the pac cup, I kept yahooing the whole way mostly unconsciously)

At watch change, Nathan comes up nears the companionway to get ready and get a briefing from me. Of course at that time one of these side waves doubled by a 30+ knot gust causes me to round up (the only other one besides the late late night, e.g. early morning ones when I was exhausted and seriously in need of some kind of sugar/food). I wasn't paying enough attention to feel that wave and anticipate. I knew about this wave (remember that waves typically establish a pattern) and had been on the lookout for it before, it hadn't caused any problems during my previous watch

Nathan did remark that most roundups to take place at watch change when we lower our defenses.

Bottom line: pay special attention when you're about to come off watch!! It is helpful to brief the new driver but try to stay focused!

No comments: