Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Relationship to your boat

Don't you find it strange that boats are given names and are referred to as a person? Well...

Your boat is your lifeline. You can stop your car and step out. You can't quite stop your boat in the middle of the ocean and jump out. If the boat gives in, you're in serious trouble, unless you are at the dock. And even there, it can be rather embarrassing. It is the last thing the crew will want to abandon. In fact, it is so rare that very harsh rules apply if a boat is abandoned: anyone who later finds it owns it, as well as everything that is on board.

Your boat is your house and your storage room - even if you do not live aboard, it will lodge you for a little while and shelter you from the harsh winds. It also contains everything you need at that time: food, clothing, first aid kit, communication devices, etc...Few people will think about spending the night in their car if they can avoid it.

Your boat is an expression of your identity and current aspirations. People who seek comfort may sail a large cruising yacht, people who seek the thrill of racing will opt for a tender and fast race boat. Every boat will behave in a unique manner and provide its own unique set of sensations. Even in a one-design class, there are personal decisions that you can make to turn it into your own special toy...

Because, your boat is also a toy...an adult toy maybe but a toy nevertheless. It will give you satisfaction and will become an endless source of fun, for you as well as for your friends.

And for some, a boat is a means of transportation, just like a car. Those must be really sad people.

I experience a myriad of feelings when I think about "Elise". I respect her, just like I respect the ocean, I want to know her. I feel thankful to her, I want to care for her, nurture her, make her beautiful and fast. My safety and my enjoyment depend on it.

I find nothing more depressing that seeing an old boat rotting away at the dock because no one is taking her out to play. A boat looks so useless and sad on land...On the other hand, surfing downwind on 'Elise' is absolutely exhilarating...

I also feel pride when I look at her as I would be proud of my own children and it is with a touch of tenderness and sadness that I part with her after a regatta. I now understand why it can be difficult for people to sell their boat as they have grown so attached to it, shared so much with it.

Finally, 'Elise' happens to be the central character of this blog...

No comments: