Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Very nice video about single handed gybe on an Express 27



A lot of people may say that it isn't the perfect gybe but I'll argue that it is a fantastic gybe and great video because

a) something doesn't go according to plan (and that will happen)
b) Todd remains calm, assesses situation, stabilizes situation and then just corrects it
c) it does the job, the boat did gybe

There is no drama, no rush.

Notice that he gybes the main first which is also what I do in heavier air. I had read that it is better as a 'round up preventer' and I have indeed not rounded up yet when gybing alone in heavier air (I have gybed in 27 knots singlehanded without any problem at all on San Francisco Bay).

My main problem when I gybe is still to keep the kite full (I often basically put the clew (and soon to be new tack) too far forward)

In lighter air, it looks like this



Note the sequence which is also the one that I use
1- clip on leeward side
2- twings to lifelines
3- clew about 2 feet from forestay
4- pole 2/3 back

Depending on wind speed I steer 145 to 160. In lighter air, I do gybe the main first, otherwise it is even more difficult for me to keep the kite full and it doesn't matter much.

Strangely enough, all my spinnaker handling singlehanded including dousing in 30 knot winds recently have been a lot cleaner than when full crew. They have also been much more prepared, though through and slow/methodical...perhaps because recovering from just about anything singlehanded is more work than anything else and you go the extra mile to try to avoid it?  Nathan says taht it is because it is easier to coordonate a crew of one than a crew of 5. There might be some truth to that...

No comments: