Sunday, November 4, 2012

Advice for single-handed long distance offshore races

I had a chat with the winner of this year's Transpac as I would like to know what it takes to win this kind of races.

Bottom line is really counter-intuitive: the less you drive and the more you sleep the faster you go.

2nd, it is really helpful to learn about routing, what to do about weather patterns, etc

So - key focus for me are

  • Power plan: I need to make sure that I can run the autopilot 24hr/day basically (even if I choose not to) - so I will more ned solar power, bigger batteries (so I can store more energy for the night) and a solution for the night (recommendation was to get a small Honda generator)
  • Autopilot: I need two very good autopilots - the NKE one needs some debugging right now but should work great. So I need a second one. No AP means no sleep which means slow. Bad AP means sleep and slow so not competitive. OK for crossing but not OK to be comeptitive
  • Routing and Navigation: it looks like the software to get (and a laptop so that I can get grib files easily) is Expedition and that it takes a while to get use to it, and figure out what to enter to 'tweak' it so it doesn't send the boat to places we don't really want to go single handed (for instance not where there is 40 knots of wind as it is unlikely that the kite will stay up with me sleeping down below under Autopilot.

Safety-wise: prepare everything in advance (sail plan, etc...) so I can continue to operate well on little sleep

I also got advice for squalls (my big fear is to get stuck right behind them in the no wind zone) but basically, I got the 'Port' trick. Gybe on port...

No comments: