Saturday, December 5, 2009

Impressions from a first sail

About six months ago, I was living in Los Angeles and saw on Facebook pictures of my friends sailing in the San Francisco Bay. I told myself that one day I too would go sailing, as I loaded on my computer’s wallpaper a random sailing photo found on the internet.

A few months later, I quit my job in LA and moved to SF, then I met Nat through an old friend. In the moment we met, I thought Nat would be a great person to live with, plus I loved her place and her two cats. When she showed me her home’s garage, I saw sailing gear everywhere. I gasped and asked: “do you sail?”

Nat is a sailor, so she gave me confidence to get on a boat for the first time to deal with both my uncertainty of the wind and the trust in that we would react appropriately to it.

During my first time sailing, I felt liberated, cleansed, and renewed. Sitting on Elise’s (a 27-ft Express sailboat) deck allowed for active meditation – attentive to the external environment, but also focused inwardly.

In my humble opinion, sailing requires a lot of experience in being alert in a passive and active manner. Sailing seems like a hard skill to master, but this very fact keeps me engaged and challenged. I hope to continue living in this beautiful bay and keep logging miles...maybe one day I will participate in a race! So far, I have learned that there is only so much I can control, so I do not wish to be the sole captain of my destiny. I will let the wind help determine that.

Heidy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.