Monday, June 27, 2011

LongPac ToDo List

Still hoping I will get an autopilot working for LongPac!!!

This is the only big work item that remains to be done for the LongPac - other than basic setup closer to race day

I will test the Raymarine one (we call this one 'Ray') this weekend which means I need to reconnect the second instrument panel and clean out some of the wiring in the nav table, looks pretty messy right now...and we have sent back the 'brain' unit of 'Nick', the NKE autopilot to the head office for surgery...Hopefully, it'll be a quick fix. We are checking to see if we could get a loaner otherwise, ideally in time for us to install and test. Otherwise, I will definitely take bungee cords...but it may not be as competitive as I would have hoped...but then Eric Tabarly broke his autopilot on day 2 or so of his first OSTAR and he won the race. So I guess, it is possible to be competitive without alternative means of steering the boat...might just have to get creative...

Other than that

  • I need to service a winch (so I will service both)
  • I will try AIS out in the ocean, in the harbor, I pick up a lot of signals from nearby ferries, etc...and it looks like everything is right on top of the boat as it is just passing by Alcatraz or something like that - and I want to see how loud the alarm is while I am under way
  • Will re-install the big solar panel (and fix the small one, one connector needs to be changed, always good to have a spare)
  • Load up all the offshore gear and make sure everything is secure
  • Charge up both batteries
  • Shop for food and drinks
  • Go pick up the liferaft (I will install on the boat at the last minute, otherwise, it might get stolen...and it is quite heavy, so I don't want it to be lying around on the floor down below)
  • fuel up (that is, fill up the gas cans, remember that Elise only has an outboard)
  • bring down the big engine and mount it (with a new lock...the old one is toast, I will have to cut through it...)
  • change the jib halyard into a less stretchy line (I will use one of our old halyard)
  • Go up aloft to set up the external halyard
  • Set up the dodger
  • Clean up (malware), set up and test boat computer (small EEE PC) for sailmail and grib files so I can get weather faxes
  • update deviation card for 2nd compass
  • set up the radar reflector up in the rig
I will go out once or twice before the race to just play around, test things out, make sure everything's OK

No comments: