Tuesday, July 5, 2011

AIS system

Familiarized myself with the AIS system this morning (well the important part) I can set up a Close Position Alarm, as well as a Time to position alarm...but I haven't figured out how to turn them off when they go off (which is all the time when you're in the Bay...given that ferries carry AIS transponders) - I can see the vessel's details though which is cool as I can then easily make a call and I can send off my position report to a specific ship.

The only workaround I have found to reset the alarm and move away from the AIS display mode (and actually make a regular radio call) is to unplug the GPS...probably not the right way, but the radio doesn't seem to be behaving the way the manual says it should...

Anyway, it is stuck in a 'safe' position so it's not really a concern, just annoying to keep hearing a 'beep beep' until you switch off another instrument...
I may turn on the AIS signal only when I am below deck for extended periods of time or in very heavy fog. Otherwise, I will keep a lookout, just like I would on San Francisco Bay or sailing to the Farallones.

No comments: