Thursday, July 12, 2012

Just a short note.

Still doing some projects on Elise but back to sailing too, and more importantly racing.

And just as a reminder...I race to become a better sailor.

I wouldn't choose to go out in pouring rain, or sail uncomfortable and technically challenging courses or angles. I may not choose to beat up 25 miles in 25 knots of breeze to get a blast on the downwind, I may not go out in light air otherwise. I may not choose to continue to sail even if I get seasick.

Racing has forced me out in all sorts of conditions. And it has taught me the most useful life skill ever: 'to just figure things out'.

A typical example.

I was a crappy light air sailor. In my younger days, I was racing and sailing a lot in places where there always was a lot of wind. And I just got too impatient in light air. Racing in the winter on San Francisco Bay turned me into an OK light air sailor and a much better sail trimmer. I learned to be focused. I will not go as far as saying that I enjoy light air sailing. I find it extremely frustrating particularly on a light race boat that would otherwise just fly in heavy air. I don't find it boring anymore though. I even find light air races very tactically challenging and interesting.

Oh, and I want to become a better sailor because it makes me happier :) There is nothing else that I have tried that has given me as much complete happiness as sailing even when it gets tough.

And believe me. Tough it has been. I have broken a mast, sunk, been seasick, been cold, been wet, broken bones (mine), fallen overboard, wrapped spinnakers, broken poles, lost numerous items of various monetary value overboard.

All days worth living. And many more of those to look forward to.

No comments: